Consistent coccyx pain, eases on bending forward, aggravates on sitting. Option other than surgery?

respected sir ..my age is 22.i am a medical student .i am having this coccyx pain for more than 6 years.during the class i feel pain .but it will go away if i bend forward.i am in india .tamil nadu.till now for the past six years i have been tollerating the pain .i browsed through the internet about this and found that sitting will aggravate the pain .so is that means that i should not sit. if i am sitting for example during the class the thought of damaging it more comes to my mind and iam getting stressed.so my question is this sir. i had hurted my coccyx before six years and my coccyx pain had become very chronic.now if i sit ,besides pain am i damaging that area.will it lead that to more pain for me and finally will it lead to severe damage where there is no other option other than surgery.sir please clarify it sir.i can even tolerate the pain sir but i cannot live with the thaught that i am damaging the area more each time i sit. sir for additional information-sir i can sit in hard surface with very little pain or no pain if i lean forward .i can sit in a sofa comfortably without any pain. since i am a student where in colleges i have to sit in steel chair my day by day life is somewhat difficult .i need your advice . and finally i am sorry if you think that i am wasting your time.i respect and need your opinion sir thank you.
Asked On : Fri, 11 Jan 2013