Congestion in throat, accumulation of phlegm, coughing, irritation in throat. Solution?

Sir I have been suffering from congestion in the throat and accumulation of thick phlegm , coughing and irritation in the throat. This is often more in the evenings and night. This condition has been there since last two weeks, but since last two days there is irritation in the throat and it appears that some of the food taken at dinner is remaining in the throat. I have so far not taken any anti-biotics except a few cough drops ( vick and Alex). When time permits I am gargling with warm water. I am otherwise healthy, 47 years old male.
Asked On : Sun, 9 Dec 2012