Cones on hands. Using salicylic acid plasters. Is surgery necessary?

I've had a cone on the palm of my left hand (1 year +) for a long period and i've been using plasters that contain salicylic acid, but it's just been peeling the skin around the cone and at one time it seemed that the cone was disappearing but just after a week the cone was back again. Well i've had a tendency of peeling the soft skin each time i change my plaster.
But after trying numerous times and visiting pharmacy's in China, Tanzania and South Africa, it's been mentioned that i will have to have it removed. I just wanted to know if this procedure was okay and are there any steps that to be taken before the minor Op. is done?
Recently it seems another cone has started growing on the tip of my right thumb.
Please advice.

Thank you
Asked On : Fri, 12 Apr 2013