Concerned about the CBC report. Family history of cancer. Any precautions to be taken?

Hi, I am 30 year Indian male. My mother passed away last year due to Breast Cancer which attacked Brain and other parts. Recently, I did a health checkup and my CBC says, COMPLETE BLOOD COUNT , BLOOD RED BLOOD CELL COUNT H 6.34 4.5 - 5.5 mil/μL HEMOGLOBIN L 12.1 13.0 - 17.0 g/dL HEMATOCRIT 41.5 40 - 50 % MEAN CORPUSCULAR VOLUME L 65.4 83.0 - 101.0 fL MEAN CORPUSCULAR HEMOGLOBIN L 19.2 27.0 - 32.0 pg MEAN CORPUSCULAR HEMOGLOBIN CONCENTRATION L 29.3 31.5 - 34.5 g/dL RED CELL DISTRIBUTION WIDTH H 15.0 11.6 - 14.0 % PLATELET COUNT 215 150 - 410 thou/μL MEAN PLATELET VOLUME 8.6 6.8 - 10.5 fL WHITE BLOOD CELL COUNT H 10.1 4.0 - 10.0 thou/μL and my TOTAL TSH, SERUM TSH L 0.01 0.35 - 4.94 μIU/mL I am very much concerned on my Complete Blood Count. Am I under any risk? Do I need to take care of anything in particular. Your advice would help a lot. Thanks, Asvin
Asked On : Wed, 4 Jul 2012
Sep 2012
Hi, Welcome to HCM. I am Dr. Das
From the report you can easily see that your hemoglobin level is mildly decreased alongwith RBC count increased, But hematocrit is normal and MCV is very low according to your age and sex, MCH is also decreased, RDW is increased mildly,Platelet is normal and WBC count is marginal.
According to this CBC report, It is said that you have Microcytic Hypochromic red blood cell and mildly decreased hemoglobin level. Now, Microcytic hypochochromia occurs in many condition like 1. Iron deficiency anaemia, 2. Anaemia of chronic disease. 3 Hemoglobinopathies. Now, in case of Iron deficency the hemoglobin level would be more lower. If you dont have any chronic disease you may have any congenital hemoglobin variants like HBE trait/disease.
So, I suggest you to go for HPLC test for detection of abnormal hemoglobin variants.
Regarding TSH value it is very decreased. If you are on Eltroxin you need mild dose adjustment.
Welcome to HCM,

Your CBC report is in normal limit, no need to worry.

There are many causes of breast cancer and herditary and familial cause is also one, but breast cancer is not detected by CBC report.

I advise you to do regular self examination of your breast and if you find any lump then consult your doctor immediately.