Coma, several broken bones, put titanium rod on thigh, not removed yet. Is this something i need to remove?

I was involved in an accident on 12/5/2004 which resulted in a coma, as well as, several broken bones. The doctors put a titanium rod in my left thigh and replaced my right knee entirely while I was in the coma. I had no memory when I initially came out of the coma. It would be several years before I managed to regain most of my memory. So, I wasn't asking many questions about what was being done to me medically at that time. The rod was never removed. Is this something I need to have taken out? Or, is it safe to leave it alone?
Asked On : Sat, 20 Apr 2013