Colposcopy for abnormal cells. Do we need to do it?

My daughter is 21 years old and they found abnormal cells and they want to do a copolscopy. Is this normal to do and should I get a second opinion. We live on a military base in Japan but they said it could take 4 to 5 weeks for the results to come back and so I am going to have it done at Seventh Day Adventist and it will take 1 week to ge the results. I obviously going to bring her there. So does she need to get anothe pap from them before getting it done? Are there major risks?
Asked On : Fri, 18 May 2012
Apr 2013
Hi and welcome to HCM,thank you for your query.
I dont see why are you concerned about colposcopy since this is not some unpleasant procedure and it would be better if some worse things are ruled out. Abnormal cells are common finding and it probably doesnt mean something serious but further testing is necessary and every doctor will say the same.
Wish you good health. Regards.