Cold, red spots at tongue, painful. No puss or discoloration. Any ideas?

I had quite a bad cold that started about 3 weeks ago. At the beginning of last week the symptoms of the cold seemed to disappear but since then my tongue has started to ache. I noticed I have red spots at the back and sides of my tongue. There isn't any puss or discolouration they are just raised. I feel like I have sprained my tongue!? It hurts when I swallow but it doesn't feel like its in my throat. It's much worse at night too.
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013