Cold, purple spots on hand. Caused by low income environment?

Hi, a girl I work with has a cold at the moment. And just showed me bruises she has. She showed me one on the top of her had and said she has many more on her torso. It doesn t look like a bruise...but it does...if that makes any sense. She lives in section 9 housing. So, not to sound awful, but I don t know if it could be cause by a low income environment . The spot I saw on her hand is purple in the center and fades out towards the edges to blue-ish speckles.
Asked On : Sun, 7 Oct 2012