Cold, hoarse voice, echo effect in voice. Suggestions to regain normal voice?

Dear sir I have problem with my voice...Whenever I get cold my voice become heavier,Coarse, also get echo effect while speaking as I am speaking from my nose ....but now a days these effect is kind of permanent even if I am not suffering from cold.. so the other person is not able to understand me as I am not able to speak clearly.....I need some suggestions so that my voice become clearer and little thinner... Thank you
Asked On : Tue, 20 Nov 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response

Our voice, though formed in our voice box, is modified as it passes through our Nose and Sinuses. SO , if you have a bad cold , it will change the voice

Medical treatment for your cold would be helpful , when it flairs up

At present though , you don't have a cold and based on the information you gave, this problem sounds like Laryngitis.

This is an inflammation of your voice box, which can occur because of many reasons - infection , smoking , excessive acidity etc.
This problem can increase because of poor hydration , and excessive voice usage

So the first step is to increase water intake , don't smoke , give your voice rest ( speak sparingly and don't whisper or shout )

If the problem persists you need to visit an ENT doctor ( preferably who specialises in voice problems )
You may get a laryngoscopy done ( a camera examination of you voice box ) to confirm the problem and start the appropriate treatment

Thank you