Cold, flu and sore throat. What are the white patches on throat? Is it serious?

Hi Dr. I had a cold and flue last week and started with sore throat and I was fine after few days. Then I eat spicy food which gave white patche to my throat and it hurted whenever I tried I swallo but pain went away after a day or so. And now I eat a spicy food yesterday and when I looked in the mirror this morning that one white patch is still there and now it s giving me burning sensation and really concerned about it. Dr. offices are closed due to holidays and I don t know what to do or if its serious? Please help me out
Asked On : Wed, 26 Dec 2012