Cold and cough, chest congestion, heavy breathing, omnacortil, cough syrup, asthalin inhaler, steroids and side effects of medicines

Dear Doctor, My daughter is 11.5 years old and weighs around 39 kg. She gets a bout of cold and cough every year around April-May. This then progresses to chest congestion and heavy breathing. Rest of the months she is fine, with no other episode of chest congestion. Three days ago, she was prescribed 40 mg Omnacortil (to be had in two doses) each day for five days; along with a cough syrup ( decongestant and broncodilator combination) for around 10 days. The doctor did not prescribe a tapering down dose. The doctor said asthalin inhaler may be taken but is not compulsory. Is this steroid dose very high for my girl? will there be any side effects? will there be any effect on her growth? Basically is this prescription ok, or do I need to look for another paediatrician? Any help on the above will be gratefully received..
Asked On : Thu, 3 May 2012