Clicking sound while yawning. Mild pain. Asked to rest the mouth. How long will it take to heal?

Hello, I yawned yesterday and I felt and heard a big crack in jaw on the right side. Since then, everytime I open my jaw it clicks and when I close it and put my teeth together again it clicks again. I am able to open my mouth but it clicks and pops, and when I close it to chew it clicks and pops. It s very tender. I went to my doctor ( dentist wasn t open), he said to rest it, avoid opening my mouth too wide, eat soft food and take Advil . Is this good advice? Will it get better soon?
Asked On : Tue, 12 Mar 2013