Clear liquid-filled itchy bumps on knees and elbows. What is it?

I have itchy bumps that only appear on my knees and elbows periodically. they are filled with clear liquid and are extremely itchy. each bump is relatively small but together they can grow to be about the size of a quarter and possibly bigger. i itch them until i start to bleed because only then will the itching stop. because of this, my elbows and knees are filled with scars. my doctor prescribed a steroid anti-itch cream but i would really like to know what it is and how to prevent it.
Asked On : Tue, 23 Oct 2012