Cleaned ear with cotton swab, bleeding, stopped, recurring on doing physical activity. Treatment?

My 8 year old son came in from playing earlier and said he felt like he had something in his ear. I didn t realize until after the fact, but he had used a cotton swab to try and clean it out. His ear is now leaking some blood . It will stop and then he will get up to play and there will be more blood. I now have him lying on our couch and the bleeding seems to have ceased. He says it doesn t hurt, just feels a little weird.
Asked On : Sat, 21 Jul 2012
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Your son could have had wax in the ear and while using cotton bud he may have injured himself, hence the bleeding. He could also be having some infection in the external or middle ear.You should consult an ENT spl who will examine the ear and advise you accordingly.