Circular whitish patch on forehead, started as flaky and itchy, lighter and discoloration skin. Treatment?

HI DR. I HAVE A CIRCULAR WHITISH PATCH ON MY FOREHEAD.
IT STARTED AS FLAKY & ITCHY, THEN I SCRATCHED IT. THEN I JUST NOTICED THAT SKIN TONE ON THE AFFECTED SKIN GETS LIGHTER THAN THE UNAFFECTED SKIN.
IT'S NOT ITCHY ANYMORE, DOESN'T SPREAD OUT BUT I'M VERY MUCH CONCERN ABOUT THE SKIN DISCOLORATION. HOW WILL THE SKIN TONE GETS BACK TO NORMAL. IS THERE ANY CREAM I NEED TO APPLY ON THE AFFECTED AREA OR ANY MEDICATION I NEED TO TAKE. PLS LET ME KNOW COZ I'M SO WORRIED. THANK YOU. FROM IRIN
Asked On : Sun, 13 Oct 2013
Infectious Diseases Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM.
Itchy scaly patches usually denote fungal infection called taenia infection. This infection can be easily treated by application of antifungal cream over the affected area for two weeks. If does not reduce get a dermatologist opinion for the lesion. Skin discoloration also occurs in a condition called as vitiligo. This is usually caused by minor trauma and occurs only in people who are predisposed to this condition. I suggest you get that condition also ruled out by a dermatologist.

Thanks.