Chronic sore throat, getting tonsil stones. No relief with antibiotics. Tonsils swollen. Possible treatment?

I am 50 years old and suffer with chronic sore throats. I still have my tonsils. Lately, I have been getting lots of the tonsil stones and having extremely sore throats. Dr. said the knots that are felt on my neck are actually my tonsils, because they are so swollen. I have been on Z-pack 3 weeks ago for strep and now on another course of antibiotics ...but the paid seems to be getting worse. Tonsils have small pits throughout, are still very swollen and there are white spots all over my throat. Could it be some other type infection and am I too old to have tonsils removed. I am tired of the sore throats!
Asked On : Thu, 21 Mar 2013
ENT Specialist 's  Response
thanks for your query
I think you have badly infected chronic tonsillitis with gland in neck. these tonsil stones are nothing but the debries collected in tonsillar cripts, acts as a nidus for constant resistant infection in tonsils.
Better to have tonsillectomy, as in adults it could be possible under local anaesthesia and take 20-25 mins for sugery and not hazardous in adults.
So in my opinion you need tonsillectomy the only option.
Thanking you.