Chronic hypertension, has walking disability post stroke with lowered BP. What is the cause of reduction in BP?

My mother is 90 and had been on high blood pressure for several years. She had a small stroke that seemed to only affect her balance. After finding out she had a stroke about 10 hours later she ended up in the ER with High Blood Pressure. She lost all of her ability to walk by herself and to even get out of bed by herself. 3 weeks ago she went from the hospital to a skilled nursing facility for rehab . She has worked 5 days a week with the PT and OT and hasn t made significant gains as far as strength -- she is still mainly in a wheelchair and does walk with a walker as long as the PT is with her and for only short distances. Her blood pressure has also dropped and usually runs in the 90 s over 50 s with several days in the 40 s. Our goal is to get her back to independent living but I am wondering if that is viable option and also what could be causing the low blood pressure. She does show some confusion as well but that is not all the time. I just don t know what to do or think --
Asked On : Fri, 27 Jul 2012