Chronic constipation after taking medication. Now feeling full. How do I know if it is severe?

I have had chronic constipation do to medication for a few years. Now I have been having real trouble going for the last few weeks. Dr. gave s stool softener. Took it a few days, and still only had a few small movements in a week. Also tried a gentle laxative now for 3 days and havent went. Have only been eating a small meal a day cause i am afraid. No pain just feel full. how do I know if it is severe?
Asked On : Sun, 23 Dec 2012