Chronic cellulitis, flare ups, recurring condition. Treatment to kill bacteria?

Hello Doctor , My name is XXXXX. My grand father has had cellulitus in his legs for 42 years. I have done a little bit of research and it seems its is relativly easy to treat and get rid of. He has been in and out of the hospital 5 times this year from flare ups ( for lack of a better term). My questions are: Why does this seem to keep happening? Is there a way to kill the bacteria indefinately? What can he do to keep from having bouts with this?
Asked On : Mon, 27 Aug 2012