Choking and coughing after waking up, eyes rolling, passing out. Smoker. What is happening?

Hi I have a concern. My father is a smoker, been a smoker for a lot of years (Im not sure if it has to do with the smoking .) but he will be sleeping and will wake up from a dead sleep and start choking and coughing so bad that he stops breathing and his eyes roll back and he passes out. Last night it happened again and he fell out of the chair he was in backwards and fell right on his head. Why is this happening and what can he do?
Asked On : Tue, 19 Jun 2012