Chipped knee cap, in full leg plaster, intense pain, plaster appears shrunk. Is this normal?

My 80 year old mum has a chipped knee cap and has been put in a full leg plaster . We have been back to the hospital three times and had the plaster changed twice because it has been rubbing and has cause a sore. We are due to go back to the hospital in 10 days time but mum is in a lot of pain and the plaster appears to have shrunk . Is this right ? should we pay another visit to the hospital or wait until the due appointment ?
Asked On : Mon, 8 Oct 2012