Child's right eye watery, puss build up. Recovered from bad cold. Possible reason?

My 16 month old daughter s right eye has been very watery all day for the past few days. She recently got over a bad cold which she fought for almost three weeks. She has a small about of puss build up a coulpe times a day with the watering as well. Her eye has not crusted shut and has not been pink at all, but I have noticed that her pupil sometimes dialates a little more as well in her water eye. Any suggestions as to what could be going on? Thanks in advance!
Asked On : Thu, 7 Mar 2013
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
In kids, a common cold often leads to blockage of the duct connecting the eye and the nose which causes a flooding of tears in the eye and a regurgitation of infected material back to the eye. You need to apply warm compresses to the right side of her nose and use your little finger to gently massage the area starting from the inner angle of the eye and moving down along the nose with very mild pressure. This pushes the infected material back into the nose. The pupil dilating more in the right eye is not really seen with this condition so it could be due to reflexes from the watering. If she sees fine with that eye there is not much to worry about. You may have to start a mild antibiotic eye ointment at night for a few days as well in the eye.