Child's lip swollen after drinking apple juice. Hard fall on face last night. Reason for swelling?

My son woke up this morning and came in and seen me...he then when in the front room and drank his apple juice from last night that was by him all night. In five minutes his lip swole up. He isn t in any distress and says it doesn t hurt. He actually joked and said maybe I grew overnight mom and I m getting bigger , he is 4. Yesterday around 2 he had a hard fall on his face. Would it take that long to swell? If he s not in any pain should I take him to the er, seems like a bit much.
Asked On : Wed, 13 Feb 2013
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query.

Did he have the fall before the apple juice or after. It shouldn't take long for the swelling to appear if it is due to the fall.

There could be 2 possibilities:
1. Swelling of the lip due to the injury
2. A possible allergic reaction

Both are minor conditions, and although best to visit a doctor for an examination. You could wait for a while longer, to see if the swelling subsides, if it doesn't please visit a doctor.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.