Child woke up with a strange cry, felt cold on the head, belly and legs, underarm temperature lower than usual. Sign of illness?

Hi, I have a five month old daughter. She woke up with a strange cry and I nursed her until she feel back asleep. I felt her head and it felt cold to the touch. Just to assure myself, I felt her belly and legs under the covers expecting them to feel warm, but she felt cold there, too, even through her sleeper. I took her temperature underarm while she slept, and it read 95.8 with one thermometer and 96.5 with another. From what I ve been reading, the underarm reads lower than usual, but this seems to be a normal range for this type of temperature reading. I have had a cold for the past few days and I m worried she will catch it. Is being cold to the touch a sign of illness? Just as a note, her back feels warm and even sweaty against the mattress, but the rest of her body feels noticeably cold to the touch. This seems especially strange to me under the covers, where it seems she should feel warm.
Asked On : Thu, 20 Sep 2012

I understand your worry as a concerned mother. The baby being cold to touch is not a good sign. However, her back is warm. Please check if her extremities are pinkish or bluish in color.

If she is able to feed normally on your breast, if she is not crying excessively, if she is breathing normally, and if her extremities are pink then there is absolutely nothing to worry at all.

If in doubt, it is always better to get her examined by her pediatrician rather than making assumptions.

As for now, I feel your daughter is normal.

I wish her good health.