Child with swollen, pus filled reddish ears. Has fever. Sun allergy?

Hello, My son came home from school today and both ears (the top of the ear and earlobe ) were swollen, red and in places pus-filled - they looked like pimples . It wasn t extremely sunny so i don t think it is a sun allergy, although he has had reaction to the sun a couple of times before. Does this sound serious? He doesn t have a fever or anything. I went to the pharmacy and they gave me a topical solution to cool the ear in cases of sunburn and insect bites . Update: Three days later the swelling is down - there is still remnants of the bumps but now he has a high fever. Perhaps totally unrealed, who knows.
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013