Child with stingy type mucus discharge in stools, regular bowel movement. Is it normal?

My son is nearly 4 years old, has normal eating and drinking habits and bowel movements. I have noticed a few times that there may be cloudy or other discharge in the toilet, as he is potty trained and has been for over a year we can t monitor what s coming out so well. This evening before bed he went to the toilet when he urinated and then left the bathroom, when I went to flush behind him I found a large stringy type mucus type discharge floating in the toilet, it looked to have very slight darker bits but otherwise was long and stringy. He has no fever or other illness and has not complained of any tummy ache or other sore bits. Is this normal? I m not sure if it may have been discharge from his bottom although there was no stool .
Asked On : Sun, 17 Feb 2013