Child with sores on mouth have fever and swollen gums. Strep test negative. What's wrong?

My son is 4 going on 5 he had a fever for 3 days well the same night his fever went away he got sores in his mouth his gums swelled and he has a cold sore well I took him to the doctors today and they did a strep test and it came back negative she said if its not gone by Thursday 3 days from now bring him back and she will do blood work can you tell me how long this last and what it is that s wrong with my Lil man and what I can give him to make him feel better
Asked On : Fri, 25 Jan 2013