Child with red and hard bump, semi flattened, normal CBC test, on Keflex, bactrim. What could this be?

My 2 year old son had a red bump almost looked like a bug bite , then for the next two days there was a pinkish ring around the bump, now its been almost 3 weeks and its still red but there is a hard bump, like a semi flattened pea size. Is this an abcess or boil . It doesn t look like its going to pop anytime soon if it is. The doctor did a CBC blood test which was normal. He cultured it with a q-tip looking swab which was negative. He put him on Keflex and Bactrim which he just finished today. What could this be?
Asked On : Mon, 17 Sep 2012