Child with low weight, on formula feed and good home made food. Corrective measures to improve health?<br>

my baby girl is 13.5 months old and she is having a weight of 8 kg only. She ison formula feed and having a full cream milk.She eats chapati nd rice dal and is also very fond of banana. Her length is only 70cm,,,Plz. suggest me the corrective measures to b taken to improve her health. Overall she is happy child and understands all the sign langugae..But she has not started walking jst try by herself and 6-7 steps...
Asked On : Tue, 16 Oct 2012
Hello. Thanks for the query.
The average weight for a child of this age is about 10 kgs. However, if the child had a low birth weight, then one can expect the weight to be less than 10 kgs at 1 year. First of all, let me reassure you that as your child is happy and active, that itself is a very good sign. Kindly follow the following steps to improve feeding.
1. She is past 1 yr of age. Stop all formula feeds and give only homemade food. make the baby sit with you at meal times
2. Continue to give milk 3 times a day only, on awakening, evening and at bedtime. Night feeds are ok if baby wakes up.
3. For breakfast by 8 am ,chapathi and dhal with a little ghee or bread or idli, etc
4. Mid morning snack by 10.30 of banana, apple, homemade orange juice or kheer,
5. lunch should be rice with dhal and ghee and different softly cooked vegetable or palak, everyday followed by little rice with curd( dahi)
6 evening 4.00. any fruit or ragi porridge or boiled carrots, etc
7. night dinner again rice with vegetables, dhal, etc.
To summarize, milk not more than 3 times, rice should be given at least 2 times, introduce all vegetables and fruits in diet, don't give biscuits and other chocolates which spoil appetite and stick to a fixed time schedule for your child.
I,m sure you will soon have a healthy and active baby.
Take care. bye
Pediatrician Dr. Kaushik K Murthy's  Response
good evening, as per ur childs weight and height, she falls into the percentile chart for the growth curves, its not that all the children should be exactly on the mark for the age, theres a range , thats call the growth curves, if the child falls in that curve , if the child is play full active , looking pink, sleeping well , achieved the milestones for that required age , not falling ill frequently, then do not worry, as the childs age advances the weight gain will not be the same as the first 6 months where in he had arapid gain, thats because he starts walking , playing and pends his energy there. so what u r feeding th child is in correct lines, include ghee in the diet, feed more frequently in small quantities, continue to feed with mothers milk till two years, follow the vaccination schedule properly. if the child looks pale , get a hemoglobin estimation done, if low, then it ll require supplementation, as of now he ll require calcium and vit d 3 supplementation. thank you.