Child with hyponatremia, vomiting, diagnosed low sodium, given hydrocortisone fluorinated steriods, Suggested pacemaker surgery, pulse low. Can steriods cause myopathy?

Hi,I have a query regarding my nephew who is just 7 months old.He used to do vomitings from the beginning of his birth uptil now and there was also a problem of hyponatremia .Doctors diagnosed Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia because of low sodium levels and treated him with steriods drugs such as hydrocortisone and some fluorinated drugs.He had been taking those drugs for almost 5 months but as his growth was stunted,his weight was not increasing so we went to another child specialist who told us that the child is not actually suffering from this disease.Now he is admitted in the hospital,his pulse rates are very low(in 40s-50s) and they are suggesting pacemaker surgery and also they are doubtful that the child has myopathy .so kindly give me your opinion regarding this and can steriods drugs can cause myopathy anyways?? Thankyou, Waiting for your suggestions.
Asked On : Wed, 11 Jul 2012

Thank you for your query.

It is very unfortunate to learn that you nephew has to have a pacemaker implant and may be sufferring from cardiomyopathy at this age. Steroids, per se, does not cause cardiomyopathy. However, occasional case due to anabolic steroids have been reported.

It is better to see the whole issue developing over a period of time and a proper follow-up can alert the doctor to the right line of management.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your nephew an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal