Child with huge tonsils seems to be continuously spitting and gagging, has watery eyes. Reason?

My grandaughter is 3 yrs old, she has been spontaneously spitting and gagging...she has huge tonsils but she is not sick nor have deseased tonsils. she has been doing this for about 3 weeks and no one has a clue what is causing it. Her eyes get watery and she has this distressed look on her face and she spits for about 1 to 3 minutes. It is progressively getting more often and not sleeping more than 3 hours at a time before she sits up and has to do it again. She has no congestion...
Asked On : Fri, 14 Dec 2012