Child with elevated ammonia in blood, hospitalized. Cause and remedy?

hello doctor, one of my friends have three children aged 8yrs,3yrs,and 8 month old boys.The eldest child and the youngest child were hospitalized because the ammonia in their blood was very high.Can you tell me what is the reason for high ammonia in blood ? what type of food should we take ? what can we do to help reduce high ammonia in our blood? thank you very much
Asked On : Sun, 12 Aug 2012
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
1. Ammonia is basically a waste product of normal body process, thus diet rich in proteins, improper kidney and liver functions can cause ammonia to rise in the body. [Ammonia levels in the blood rise when the liver is not able to convert ammonia to urea.]
2. As they are children, thus excluding alcohol abuse and drug abuse:
Reye's syndrome, trauma can also increase ammonia in blood.Ammonia is especially toxic to the brain.It can cause confusion, lethargy, and sometimes coma. [hepatic encephalopathy].
3.use of biotin rich food,drinking lots of water, silymarin, grapefruit seeds, lemon help reduce ammonia in blood.
4. Treatment is complicated, requiring the supervision of a medical professional.[GI or Hepatology (liver specialist) can help guide management], high levels are usually treated with Lactulose (which excretes extra ammonia through stool).