Child with ear pain after putting ear bud in the ear. Chances of eardrum rupture?

My 3 & 1/2 year old son, went to the bathroom to go potty, then the next thing I knew he was screaming in the bathroom. When I went in there he was holding his ear and crying. He said he hurt his ear. I asked him how, and then he showed me a q-tip he must have got from the bathroom drawer, and said, i was trying to clean my ears out like daddy. He calmed down after holding him for 5 minutes, but he said it was still hurting. could he have ruptured his eardrum? he is taking a nap right now. Its saturday, so our doctor is now open. Is it something that can wait until monday to take him in to our doctor, or should it have more immediate attention?
Asked On : Wed, 27 Mar 2013