Child with crusty, red eyes on waking up, significantly red in one spot, presence of small dot on iris, had cold sores on lips. Is it related?

My 5 year old son has been waking up with very crusty and red eyes for the last 3 days. After washing his eyes out, he s better, but his eyes are still red. Today, his left eye was significantly more red in a specific area. As I looked closer, I noticed a small white dot on the edge of the iris. The dot is NOT milky, it almost looks like a little pimple and he says it bothers him when he blinks. What is this? Can this be related to a cold sore on his lip he got about a week ago? This cold sores are now dry and crusting over, so I assume it s healing .
Asked On : Sun, 27 May 2012