Child with allergy test positive, keeping Epipen on hands. Inhalants results 22 wheal and 30 flare. What does this number represent?

My 7 yr old had to have allergy testing done the other day and has tested positive to EVERYTHING. We now have to keep an epi pen on hand as well as an inhaler . I ve done a lot of reading and see that the size of the reaction to the prick test doesn t determine the severity of the allergy. So...what is the scale they base it on? Ex: her numbers for Ragweed Mix were: 14 (wheal) and 35 (flare). Under the category Inhalants her results were 22 (wheal) and 30 (flare). what do those numbers mean exactly? I know they represent measurements but if the size of the reaction doesn t determine the degree of severity then what s the point?
Asked On : Sun, 3 Mar 2013