Child with Mollescum contagiosum, developed bacterial infection. Given Keflex, got rashes. Are steroids making it worse?

My 3 1/2 year-old son has had molluscum contagiosum for almost a year. Manageable for the most part, yes. Approximately one week ago, I took him to his pediatrician because one of the molluscum appeared to have gotten a bacterial infection , As it was swollen and some pus was present. The doctor put him on Keflex for this. Five days after initiating the Keflex, he developed a rash on his arms and legs. The rash was pustular and very itchy. I stopped the Keflex and called the pediatrician again and he was evaluated. They recommended Benadryl every six hours 12.5 mg and, of course, discontinuation of the Keflex. His original wound is better and we re applying Bactroban on that topically. But this rash is now all over his body: arms, legs, trunk, face, back. I am currently giving him oatmeal baths several times a day, and using Benadryl 12.5 mg every six hours for symptom relief. He was also started, by the pediatrician, on both oral and topical steroid cream for the rash. My question is Could this be the molluscum flaring up? If so, will steroids make it worse? Some areas of the rash appear similar to molluscum but then others do not. Is there anything else i can do to ease my poor child s discomfort? What are your thoughts?
Asked On : Sun, 16 Dec 2012