Child was hit on head. Has bruise. Should I be concerned?

My 2 year old daughter was hit by our 6 year old daughter in the head near the temple this afternoon with a baseball bat. She was hit with what I'd consider medium force as the older child does not possess the ability to swing the bat hard. That said, there is a small bruise at the site of impact and aside from crying at the time, no symptoms of any head injury. Now that our 2 year old is asleep for the night, is there anything I should be concerned with or look for? Thank you.
Asked On : Wed, 1 May 2013

Thank you for your query.

At present it appears that you need not worry about anything. Nevertheless you should look for the following symptoms that will require immediate medical intervention:
1.     Headache
2.     Vomiting
3.     Drowsiness
4.     Abnormal movements including blurred vision

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
Pediatrician Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty's  Response

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

In a child with head injury monitor for the following danger signs.
Monitor for projectile vomiting, ear and nose bleed, seizures, loss of consciousness etc. If they are present please report to your pediatrician or ER at the earliest.
Take preventive measures to prevent such injuries. Prevention is better than cure.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.
Pediatrician Dr. Synthyia Bhagat's  Response
I suggest you to apply ice compresses over injury site for 5 min two to three times.
You can give acetaminophen for pain relief.
Watch for any warning signal for at least 24 hours that is lethargy/bleeding from ear or nose/vomiting and in case you observe any take her to ER.

Wishing your baby good health.
God bless..