Child waking up frequently during sleep to eat but not much. Reason?

MY 19 MONTHS DAUGHTER is not sleeping nicely at night. After every 30 min. she is waking up and needing feeding fm her mother. Her mother is also very disturbed by this. She is eating but not much- continuously 3 to 4 spoon- anything u give. What can be the possible reasons? Dr. prescribed sypon oral drops. Shall we give...?
Asked On : Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Feb 2013
Hi after 1 year children appetite and sleep requirement will decrease that is why they resist to eat some times. Individuality develops and they try to feed themselves. At the same time they develop seperation and sleep problems. Try to encourage her to take feeds by herself. Cypon drops can be given but what you reuire is to understand the child developmental issues associated with this age and to act accordingly. If Activity and weigt gain is appropriate there is nothing to worry
Pediatrician Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal's  Response

Thank you for your query.

I hope I have understood the problem properly:
1. The baby is waking every 20 minutes to have mother's feed and this has been there from birth
2. Her weight gain is adequate

Presuming the baby's weight gain is appropriate for her age then I shall not worry about this behaviour. It is very common for babies to have the comfort of their mother and would latch to her frequently. However, this is the appropriate time to dissuade her from night feeds. It will be better to give her some solid food before she retires so that she does not demand a feed in the night.

If it is correct then it is Cypon drops which is given to increase the appetite. If you have not started giving the drops and the weight gain is adequate then there is no need of giving it. If you have been giving it then the above behaviour of demanding feeds frequently can be due to it.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your daughter all the best.