Child vomitting, passing grey stools. Cause?

My daughter is 29months old and has some issues with vomiting up food that I know we havent eaten in approx. 3 days. She also has problems passing stool and it has been very firm clay-like and beige to gray in color. Her siet is picky. Grounds for concern? Pertinent info: she has always had her routine preventitive care visits with the pediatrician but I have never addressed this issue.
Asked On : Sun, 17 Mar 2013

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

A person cannot vomit what he has not taken in. May be the food that she has vomited might have been given by someone else.
May your kid might have vomited some substance which is partially digested and you might not have identified it.
If a child vomits some thing that was consumed long back she needs to be investigated. A barium swallow or a endoscopy may help in the diagnosis.

What is the smell of the vomit?
Does she do this frequently?

You may contact me with further details on the following URL...........

In such scenario the questions are directly forwarded to me .............. and I can answer your queries regarding your kid online regularly.

Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics