Child very athletic, but cannot do sit ups. Underdeveloped abdominal muscles?

My 9 year old is very athletic and active but is unable to do even one sit up - says the pain is too intense. During the Presidents Physical Fitness challenge at school he could only do about 20 sit ups, now not even one. Could it just be underdeveloped abdominal muscles or something else. As I said, he plays all sports and runs crosscountry and track without complaint.
Asked On : Mon, 30 Jul 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
i do not think you need to think too much about this. It is common for every child to have different capacity. Muscles need training and warm up. If you want to make him stronger then encourage him for exercises and protein diet.