Child tightens body muscles and breathes heavily. What is wrong?

Hello, I am worried about my 1.5 year old son behaviour. He thigtens all of his body muscles and breath heavily while sitting on a chair or sitting on my lap. He has done this since he was 9 months but it has recently became more often.He started doing this in his high chair during meals so I decided not to feed him in this chair. Next he discovered that he can do this in his buggy while belts were fastened.Now he does it during his meals on ordinary chair (he tightens his legs together) and it is very difficult to feed him because he is so concentrated on exercising that he does not want to eat :-( I have to distract him by giving something interesting to his hands. It workssometimes but not every time.Meals last ages and I am very tired and stressed about this situation. Could you please give some advice? Do you know what is wrong with my son?
Asked On : Wed, 20 Mar 2013

Thank you for your query.

Children have their own ways of drawing attention and your son knows how to draw your attention which he is doing by tightening his muscles. If he is growing well and does not do such things while playing around then you should stop worrying. Do not pay attention to him when he does this and in a few days you shall observe that he has stopped doing it.

If his growth is not proper then you need to discuss this issue with your doctor.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/gR5Oy
http://bit.ly/OpvpJu