Child taking medicines for pinworms, blood in stools. Side effects of medicine?

My three year old son had pinworms , so two weeks ago we treated it with the over the counter meds we found. Since then he has had four bowel movements that included a small amount of blood . Not dark, very bright red blood and twice it was very little but twice it was about the size of half a dime of blood. He has started complaining again of itching and waking last night, I need to do his second dose today, however, should I be concerned with the blood in his stool? He has had hard stools and says it hurts to pass them, those were the only times he bled. When he had soft stools, no pain, no bleeding . Just wondering if this is a side effect of the pinworms or meds??
Asked On : Mon, 19 Nov 2012

First of all i would suggest to get your son examined by a physician or a surgeon. As per the histoty given by you and as you have yourswlf noticed very correctly that your child has pain and bleeding when he passes hard stools. This may well be due to some anal problem as fissure for which he needs to be examined. Meanwhile give your kidplenty of water and high fibre diet as leafy green vegetables, fruits, salads and milk. Your doctor may advice some local ointment to apply.

Please do not give over the counter medication without having your child examined by a doctor

Wishig a speedy recovery to your child

Dr. Gaurav