Child suffering from supraventricular tachycardia, recovering from operation. Prescribed drotaverin. Will it increase heart rate?

My child is suffering from supraventricular tachycardia while recovering from an operation for holes in atrium and ventricle as well as a narrowing of the aorta . They are administering drotaverin as one of his medications which I have been reading can cause increase in heart rate. There are no other apparent causes for this tachycardia and otherwise he is perfectly fine. Could the drotaverin be the issue?
Asked On : Fri, 9 Nov 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns. Drotaverine is usually well tolerated, however occasionally it can cause arrhythmia, arterial hypotension, palpitations, allergic dermatitis, constipation, sweating, flushing amongst others, since it is a smooth muscle relaxant. You should discuss with your doctors about this possibility if no other causes are found.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN