Child suffering from histiocytosis. Brownish spots spreading on the body. What are these?

My nephew has a disease called histiocytosis he s had it since he was two. He s 11 now and has some long term side effects that they keep an eye on. About a year ago he had a brown freckle-like spot on his back near his lower spine . Since then it has progressed to about ten and they re all around the same size and pretty close together. They are about 6 to 8mm in diameter each! My sister has an appt set up with dermatologist but it s a few months away! Any idea what this can be?
Asked On : Sat, 7 Jul 2012