Child suffering from constant constipation, stomach ache and fever. Need to go to hospital?<br>

I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter who has constipation issues since a baby. However for the last few weeks she has been complaining of stomach aches today she has been in pain all day with stomach ache and fever . She had a bowel movement last night but it has not helped. Should I take her to the hospital to get a scan of her tummy and a blood test done now. Or should I wait?
Asked On : Wed, 27 Mar 2013

Thank you for your query.

If your daughter is having stomach ache and fever then it suggests that she is having a stomach infection. It is advisable to consult your doctor so that appropriate cause of the infection can be ascertained and appropriate management done. The infection can vary from acute gastroenteritis to an infection of one of the organs present in the abdominal cavity.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
Pediatrician, Neonatology Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth's  Response
yes of course with the pain - some investigations are needed.
You take her to the doctor.
At least you can get her some relief from her sufferings.
Good luck
Dr Uma