Child standing sway backed, protruding belly. Doing exercises. Is it the best thing for her?

My youngest girl so we thought had a big belly well it looked that way, she just started gymnastics this summer and And we started to see that she doesn t have a big belly it s the way she is standing, and that is how we figured out that she is standing sway backed. her teacher has been having her do some excerises. Is this the best thing for her? She will be 7 years old as of Tommorow, should I be having my local doc check on this more closely?
Asked On : Sun, 11 Nov 2012

Thank you for your query.

I suggest that your daughter be examined by the doctor, preferably an orthopedic surgeon, who will see her posture and try to find a cause for such a posture. Depending on the examination investigations may be ordered to rule out any spinal cause for the posture. Physiotherapy may be suggested to correct the posture and/or strenghten the back muscles so that your daughter stands upright.

Exercises and gymnastics are good but should be done under guidance so that the back is not damaged.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.