Child snapped elastic band across eye, used cool cloth over eye. What should be done to cure?

My two year old child snapped an elastic band (from one of those cheap plastic hats) across her eyes. I have managed to calm her, but she refuses to open her eyes? I have placed a cool damp cloth over them. What else should I do? Ice? Eye drops? Dark room? Doctor?
Asked On : Sat, 24 Mar 2012
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Dear friend,

The injury from the elastic bands lead to development of epithelial abrasions on the corneal surface. they usually are very painful, but heals by themselves. You are required to use antibiotic eye ointment. and pad the eyes. Make you child to fall asleep. he will be fine when she wakes up . take care. In case this doesnot help consult an ophthalmologist. Take care