Child smashed thumb, nail opening up, emitting foul smell. No pain or swelling. Is there a concern?

My son smashed his thumb in the door about 12 days ago. His nail turned purple right away and I released the pressure withing five to ten minutes of the incident. Now 12 days later the nail is starting to open up and you could see underneath his thumb nail. It smells also. I am 31 years old, I recall this happening to me when I was about his age. But I recall the time for the my skin to let go of my nail to be longer, perhaps three to four weeks. Anyhow, is there a concern I should have? He doesn t complain of any pain or the thumb is not swollen. An answer to this would help me much. Thanks in advance.
Asked On : Sun, 11 Nov 2012