Child shows signs of anger, irritability, has frequent cold and running nose, suffers with anemia. Irritability due to cold or psychiatric issues?

This is Dr.Balaji from hyderabad .My baby girl aged 3 years is having problem of irrritability,anger and aggressive behavioural episodes of few minutes duration since 4-5 months and we consulted child psychiatrist he prescribed risperidone drops for 1 1/2 months.she is also having recurrrentepisodes of cold n running nose we are confused whether nasal irritaion is causing irritability or its a psychiatric problem? she is also having normocytic hypochromic anemia .we are not able to arrive at specific diagnosis
Asked On : Sun, 30 Sep 2012
Normocytic hypochromic anemia is not a tenable combination, Dr. Balaji. Chronic disease can cause normochromic, normocytic anemia. What is the exact MCV? I am sure this is nutritional anemia, most probably due to iron deficiency. You may consider iron therapy AFTER her acute cold etc has improved.

Viral coryza and pharyngitis are common illnesses among toddlers, and can cause more irritability than one can imagine. Psychiatric problems can cause aggression, anger, etc. but not irritability, which I assume means that she is not playful, cries easily when her demands are not immediately satisfied, and inconsolable at times. In such cases, the thing to do would be to continue loving and nurturing her as before, and wait for the acute symptoms to wear down.

Continue Risperidone.

-Dr. Taher