Child recovering from hand, foot and mouth disease. Has collapsing legs. Have you heard of virus settling in hips?

my 16 month old grandson is just getting over hand , foot and mouth disease , this morning his legs started just collapsing on him and he was falling down over and over. my daughter took him to the pediatrician in the early afternoon-he ran all over the waiting room just fine- no episodes. the dr told her the virus settled in his hips doesnt cause pain and it will pass have you ever heard of this? today he was just starting to be feeling well after the hand foot and mouth stuff and the dr said that is usually when this happens and he sees this freq-i have never heard of it, nor anyone else i have asked.
Asked On : Sat, 18 Aug 2012